Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Real Writers Write Every Day

At least, that's the advice given... almost all the time. And for the most part, I believe it to be true. But the thing is, you can't do it every day without burning out. It's like working every day. Or having a sculptor sculpt every day etc. The point is, you do it almost every day. The real question is "Why am I not doing this?" I mean, I don't even write every other day. Or most of the time, not even once a week. I keep telling myself I want to be a writer. I want to become a published author. I want to write. I keep saying I want to write. And just keep saying it. I go to writing conferences. I read about writing. But when it comes down to it, I simply don't write.

About a year and a half ago, I had a blog that I wrote either a short story, poem, a scene or chapter to a story every day. I think I missed like 3 days or something. And after about 100 days, I just... stopped. I started working full time while going to school with 15 credits and I had ZERO time for myself. I hated that I quit it. But I had lost all of my umph to write by the time I quit my second job. And since then, that umph hasn't returned.

In short, my get up and go had got up and gone. And it seems to never want to come back.

However, I'm going to try and break this curse. Whatever I can do, I will break it. This summer, I want to write, and I want to actually finish writing my book, and I want to edit through it and finally get through more than that mere first craptastic, awful draft.

Maybe, since I've announced it (...again...) I'll follow through this time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment